One of my New Year's resolutions (sure to go flying by like all the others) is to work on unfinished paintings, revisit ideas and sketches, and if need be, send hopeless starts to the great art trash bin in the sky.
|Painting on site|
This painting is one I worked on during one of Tower Hill BotanicalGarden's "Arts Weekends" in October, 2014. It was the time of fall color, but they day turned out gray, then misty, then rain. Still, found a spot under a tree, and at least the acrylics didn't dry too fast like they usually do.
|In its first state|
The painting looked OK while I was outdoors, and one visitor from Charleston wanted to buy it (I never heard from her, so I assume she came to her senses). Since I wasn't excited by it, I put it away since I knew there was something wrong, but couldn't put my finger (or paint) on it. I then realized that while the foliage was brilliant on that maple tree, it looked out of place because the staff keeps the grounds so clean that there were no leaves on the ground. I also felt it needed softening, but with a few more bits of color, so I added the figure with the umbrella.
It was still looking rather uninteresting, so I tried the old artist's trick of putting it in a frame to see a more finished effect. Surprisingly, this is all it took to give it a lift. Still may need more tweaking, but now it doesn't seem so hopeless.
Now on to the rest of that lifetime supply of unfinished work....
|A frame seems to help|