Thursday, February 25, 2010

An Elegant Oval Mirror



I bought this mirror a while back, and while the weather was good this past summer took off the old paint and gilt work. Although it was redone, it actually looked presentable except for the bottom pendant, which was broken and flopping about. My guess is that someone stood it on the floor, and snapped the pendant. This also bent and forced the metal strengthening rods (used like rebar is in concrete), so it wouldn't go back together without removing them.
After stripping, I was able to see other repairs that had been made, as one would expect, on some of the projections from the crest. The areas of water gilding, though worn, were still there. My guess is that rather than live with the wear, a repair rather than a conservation job was done.
Now that it is winter, and I finally cleared some work space, I am tackling the rest of this project.

No comments:

Post a Comment