Thursday, March 17, 2011

Composition Ornaments


It feels like Christmas morning when I get a shipment of composition ornaments. These molded ornaments are decorative elements used on frames and furniture. There are still some companies selling them, from the same molds they have used for many years.

This shipment was from Bomar Designs (www.bomardesigns.com/index2.php).

Due to the ordering requirements (minimum numbers, etc.) it takes a while to build an order, and I order lots of extra stuff that I don't have an immediate use for, but when I have it on hand, it lets me get creative.

The texture of these is like a very stiff cookie dough,and I will store them in the freezer. To use them, they are steamed to activate the glue and make them flexible. Then apply them to a frame corner, etc. - the flexibility lets them conform to a contour of the molding, and they eventually dry rock-hard. Then gesso, gild, etc.

Some of the long strips are for replacements on antique frames; other items are for the new frames I make. I will post some of those projects as I work on them.

No comments:

Post a Comment