Saturday, June 25, 2011

Oval Frame




It has been a week of solid rain here, and while it is letting me get some indoor things done, it is making photography difficult, as I like at least some natural light.
Here is a project I am finishing up; I'll post the final pictures when I can take them and have them look good.
I bought this oval snow scene last year; the painting was charming, and the frame was the original, although it had suffered some minor losses, and had a coat of "gold" paint (now turned brown with age). You can already see the difference with just the paint stripped and some new gilding applied.
The inner bands and top were water gilded; I was able to put clay over the original gesso. The rest will be oil gilded, and final toning will accentuate the composition ornament and the more reflective water gilt surfaces.

No comments:

Post a Comment