Saturday, February 16, 2013

Frame with Gilt Decoration




There is a name for this decoration (which has fled my mind at the moment) that is often seen on old European frames. Likely a less expensive and time consuming option than sgrafitto, inlay or applied/carved ornament, it has its own charms.

I had long wanted an example of this, and as I had to make a fairly simple frame for one of my paintings (as yet unfinished) it seemed like a good time to try it.

I drew up a simple scroll design, scanned and mirrored it in Photoshop to make the patterns.



These were transferred to the flat of the frame using transfer paper, and gold size (tinted with a small amount of ochre oil color) was applied by brush.




After leafing, skewings were brushed away. After completing layers of tinted shellac, casein, and a final waxing/rottenstone application, the design looks as if it is part of the surface, not merely applied. Will certainly do more of these in the future.

1 comment:

  1. Kate Henry said...
    Great concept for frame it looks like simple but beautiful style for me .. I Love that kind of design so i think that will be match for my Frame (that hides a television) . So I hope that in your next blog post I will see it . So continue posting I love your version :) Keep it up .. Cheers :)
    September 3, 2013 at 1:57 AM

    (this user post was edited by Forthill to remove a link that was affecting a user's site metrics)

    ReplyDelete