Saturday, November 28, 2015

The Accidental Frame

In the interest of efficiency, when I have things of my own to frame I may wait to  cut and join the wood frame when I have several to do, even though I may not finish gilding/painting for some time. Sometimes a real long time.

Frame with gold leaf details


In this case, I had an etching purchased several years ago, the frame was cut, and was even gilded and painted. I knew I would include some other design work, but hadn't come to final decisions. In a burst of "let's get some of these unfinished projects out of the way", I added gold leaf design work to the panel of the frame (a "faux sgraffitto" technique).

Since, as with the frames, I often get the mats cut ahead of time, and along with the art work, put them away for safe keeping, I next had to retrieve the art and mat. Amazingly, it was, for once, where I thought it would be. But when I went to assemble the package, something was off. A lot off. the art and mat were for an 8 x 10 frame, and my newly finished frame was 11 x 14.

I know that I sometimes mess up measurements, but this was bad, even for me. I went looking through the other unfinished projects, and found a frame the correct size. In fact, it was even noted on the back that it was meant for the etching.

But, as luck would have it, I did have a painting of mine that fit, and, was much better for the new frame than the one it was in before.

"Power Psychic" oil on canvas by Joseph Rice

Now I just have to finish the other frame. Maybe next year.





1 comment: