Friday, April 29, 2016

The Old Oval Finally Finds a Home

FInished

This oval frame came with a domed glass, and is typical of the 1890-1910 era. I don't recall how I acquired it (I think someone just gave it to me), but when it arrived 90% of the outer band of ornament was missing. I didn't even bother to photograph it.

While it was not financially worth-while to replace this missing molding, I did do it for purposes of class demonstrations on how composition ornament is steamed and bent to conform to a shaped frame. Once the ornament was applied, it remained in the workshop in a state of limbo, as I had no further use for it, yet it was now too good to discard.

Out of the blue I had an inquiry for domed glass, and this frame and glass (which I had left up in Maine, intending to discard) was just what was needed. I finished the band of compo with mica powders (which I now use in place of traditional bronzing powders, as they will not tarnish over time), and a casein wash.

Now that is done, I almost wish I had kept it for myself.



Composition molding, gessoed, then tinted shellac.

1 comment:

  1. It would be tempting to look at these Replica Rolex side-by-side.these two watches prove one of the most important principles of collecting vintage Replica Breitling.The case on the Sometimes Replica IWC does something weird, and that’s when you really need to pay attention.Rolex Air King is much more lithe than the sturdy beveled design found on such vintage sport watches as the Submariner and GMT.Sometimes Replica Omega does something weird, and that’s when you really need to pay attention.The appulse on the Replica Hermes Handbag capacity of high-end appearance brands isn’t absolutely clear.But some analysts are admiration a stronger approaching for high-end appearance brands of Replica Prada Handbag architecture affluence watch divisions.



    ReplyDelete