Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Another Day, Another Frame


I purchased this painting many years ago. It probably appealed to me since it was so simple and bold, unlike my own paintings. The old frame was probably not as old as the painting, and was typical of what someone may have selected in the 1960s or 70s - "contemporary" with a linen panel. While narrow frames are often effective with large works, they all to often carry the air of "what's the least expensive". Since the frame was stained and falling apart (it looks better in these photos than in real life) , I knew it would be reframed at some point.

Painting as framed when purchased

Old frame detail


Label on back



As with many of these long term (long term in the sense they get put away and forgotten), my thoughts about the final design may go through several revisions. I cut and joined the basic frame last year, and like the painting, it didn't get out of storage for quite a while. 

Silver leaf applied

Due to the fairly large size (24" x 28"), I wanted to do something with more wall presence, but not fancy. My usual technique for almost any project is multiple layers of material to create finishes that have variations and undertones. 

This started with gesso, coated with pigmented shellac, then silver leaf. The panel was painted in dark blue, then a silver leaf design applied. I wanted the design bold, with the same "casual" feel as the painting. 


Painting corner design with gold size


Silver leaf applied to designs

Afterwards, additional shellac, casein washes, and finally, wax and rottenstone. If this snow season persists I might get all caught up on the unfinished projects..

Detail of finished frame


Another project crossed off the list






No comments:

Post a Comment