Monday, March 16, 2015

The Snow Scene (In driveway and in watercolor)

The shady corner

As our horrendous winter draws to a close, the snow is melting rapidly (well, not that rapidly), and the scene changes with each day. I have been taking pictures, and the other day decided to sit in the back of the van (which was finally removed from its ice tomb) and do a plein air watercolor. I was intrigued with the partially covered flowerpots, and the shadows on the wall. I have taken many pictures, since the light, the shadows, and yes, even the snow level are all changing.

My first version, on a bright day, seems fresh and light, but not as exciting as I had hoped.




Version 1 in the van





Version 1



Version 2



Version 3



Version 4. I hoped a change to a vertical composition might help. It didn't.



But I was persistent. This is Version 5.

Tried again with version 6.



Finally, version 7. Not completely happy, but I don't want to prolong winter any more than I have to.

The day I was painting the shadows weren't as interesting on the wall as they are in the photo (also, some of these seem to look better on the computer than in real life).I'm sure I'll revisit this - maybe in the summer when I feel more nostalgic for the snow!

No comments:

Post a Comment