Thursday, July 2, 2009

Making Frames








I needed to get some molding for a frame order, and every time I go to my supplier, 2 percent is for a real project, and the rest is for playing around with making frames for myself or inventory.

I forgot to take a picture of my supplier, Stephen Izzo, http://www.stephenizzo.com/, but he is a great source of wood moldings, most of which are accurate reproductions of original frames from museums and collections.

So with all that stuff, needed to get to work. Two of the frames I need to make are fairly large, and the incessant rain makes me work indoors. At the same time I chopped and joined some other frames for myself, and did a quick carving. Since I will have a weekend of gesso-ing ahead of me, may as well make the most of it. I will work on these up in Maine, where I have much more work space.

The finished frame shown is a new design I am trying. The molding is a heavy bolection type profile. I gilded the inner and outer edges, and to add some interest, did a simple incised design. After gilding and paint work, with a casein wash, it will get a final wax job. I will post another image when the art is inserted.






No comments:

Post a Comment