Thursday, October 28, 2010

Round-corner Frame







Very often I get frames that are not worth putting a lot of work into, but they often serve as illustrations of what happens to frames over the years. A friend gave me some frames from her garage, including this 19th century round-corner example. It had a bad break, and was covered in "radiator" paint. I clamped and glued the break just to keep it from creating more damage, and since I noticed glints of gold, decided to take a quick stripping attempt, using methylene-chloride based paint stripper. I found the original silver-gilt ("lemon gold") underneath (as shown in the top photo), although it was worn (probably the reason why it was painted).
If I ever have use for this frame, I will consider making a proper repair to the broken area.


No comments:

Post a Comment