Monday, January 30, 2012

"Sand" on Frames





In order to provide textured accents, there is a technique for using sand on gilded frames. I have used this before, and as I couldn't decide on a carved or incised design for a band on my current project, I decided that this would provide just the bit of interest this frame needed.
Basically, apply some glue, then pour sand on it. When dry, remove excess, and finish as desired.
For a small frame made for a print, the narrow recess was covered in a very even, fine sand obtained from a craft supply store.
For my larger frame, a coarser sand was needed, so I went to the sand bucket we keep (a winter necessity in New England), washed the sand to remove fine silt and any salt, etc. I picked out any outsize material (for large quantities, a sifter would be handy). The frame was already carved and gessoed; I will apply a thin coat or two of gesso over the sanded area before beginning the gilding.
Once you notice this technique, you will find it on a number of old frames, particularly 19th century ones. I saw a very large frame in the Baltimore Museum of Art that had large grit, essentially gravel. Stunning.

No comments:

Post a Comment