Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Evolution of a Painting



I started this on a very hot day while painting on Shrewsbury Common with the Artist Guild of Shrewsbury. It feels good to do that very quick blocking in, however, as fresh and free as it looks in that state, the more I study it, the more I see it needing refinement and correction.

These photos below show how it evolved when I took it home for further work.


Filling in some of the "raw" unpainted areas of the canvas and correcting the tilt of the obelisk.
 

Continued correction to the monument (good thing I had some reference photos).
 

Adjusting values.
 

More foliage.
 

Correcting some drawing and proportion issues.


It will now sit for a while, then I will make the final attack.  Will post when finished and framed.

No comments:

Post a Comment