Monday, July 7, 2014

Catching up (and trying to keep ahead)


Oh dear, it's been a while. My purpose for even having this blog was to reassure myself that I was accomplishing things - letting the photos and postings be the proof. Fear not, I was busy, in fact, things needing real work took precedence over this blog. So, let July be the month of catch up!

This weed, now 7' tall, is the plant growing the best for me.


Spring in New England means lots of garden work. In our suburban area, we are battling wilderness which tries very hard to take back what is clear and cultivated (and sometimes the wilderness wins).

My garden nemesis is the poison ivy. I spray to kill it, but every so often decide on manual means, and with the aid of hook tool and rubber gloves, try to pull out as much as I can. Yes, I wind up with the awful rash and itching, but figure that since I'll probably get it anyway, take advantage of the encounter and try to remove as much as possible.



This large branch feel from my neighbor's ancient chestnut, and now serves as "found sculpture"

Forsythia in bloom - careful pruning increases the blooms each year.

And after its haircut

1 comment:

  1. What about your watercolors?!?! I looked up your friends title for the plant. It is non-native/invasive. It's interesting though that it is used to cure TB and leprosy.

    ReplyDelete